Are you confused about what makes up for education software? Where is it used? What are its features? We heard you. In this article, we will walk you through all the important concepts around education software, right from its definition and the latest trends in education software to its pricing, in detail.
Gone are the days when education was only limited to learning from books. But given the rapid evolution of technology, education has also gone digital like many other industries. You will find a host of educational software available in the market. However, not everyone knows about them; be it the type and benefits of educational software or what to look for in one while buying. But before we explore all that, let’s begin by understanding the meaning of education software.
What is an Education Software?
The term “Education Software” is broader than you think. It concerns with any (or all) type of software that the education industry can utilize. The purpose of using such software, however, remains the same: to make education more efficient and effective than it already is. For the provider or receiver or both.
Whether it is a system managing student information, a language learning software, reference software, or classroom management software; all of them fall under the comprehensive term Education Software.
Educational software, with the help of advancing technology, ends up simplifying the activity of either teaching or self-learning in general. It makes learning interactive and immersive for the students while much more manageable and collaborative for the educators.
There are many companies around the world now that focus on developing customized educational software for schools or students of a particular stream of study. The features and complexity levels vary from software to software. For example, the educational software for kids would have different functionalities and features than that of a higher education software system.
Related:- How to Protect Your Data and Make Your Business More Secure
What are the Types of Educational Software?
Education software can be designed to fulfill diverse requirements, goals, and demands of the stakeholders. To make things convenient for you, we have compiled the following list of the top 10 types of education software you will come across:
› AUTHORING SYSTEM
Authoring systems make the teachers’ life a bit easier. Using this system, teachers can build their own instructional content with ease. Right from developing multimedia content like reviews, lessons, and tutorials to creating e-flash cards to teach specific concepts, the software gives teachers an upper hand.
What’s more is, authoring systems are available in web versions too. That allows teachers to develop multimedia content for easy integration on websites.
› GRAPHIC SOFTWARE
The graphic software has extensive use for both students and teachers. Thanks to this software, you can not only capture and change but also create images which are present online or in the program. It also enables you to create elegant online presentations.
› DESKTOP PUBLISHING
Have you seen those engaging newsletters, flyers, and leaflets? They are made using desktop publishing software or DTP software as it is widely known. Popular software in this category includes Adobe PageMaker, Adobe InDesign, and CorelDRAW.
It is useful for teachers as well as students. Teachers or admin staff can use it for developing brochures to highlight upcoming school programs and events. Students, on the other hand, can utilize DTP to create appealing visual communication for their school projects.
Apart from that, the DTP skill has a higher value in the job market. Many companies utilize this kind of software to develop productive marketing material in-house, from ads to reports.
› TUTORIAL SOFTWARE
You can think of tutorial software as a platform on which teachers can teach new lessons to students as well as assess their capabilities. The highlight of this software is that it lets students learn at their own pace. Thus, if student A is a slow learner than student B and C, it won’t force student A to increase their learning speed. They can learn and practice lessons on their own based on their individual grasping level.
› EDUCATIONAL GAMES
Educational gaming software is learning meets fun. It incorporates critical learning concepts into games, making education not only an easy but also enjoyable activity. Such type of software is especially useful for kids and toddlers. From teaching them about animals and alphabets to offering basic science, maths, and geography concepts, there are many takers for educational games software.
› MATH PROBLEM SOLVING SOFTWARE
Mathematics tends to be a dreadful subject for many students. But thanks to technology, now there is Math Problem Solving Software to ease the Number Woes of students. Math teachers can use this type of software to help students develop and strengthen their problem-solving abilities. The software also somehow manages to build a liking for the subject along the way.
The term Courseware marries the word “course” with “software”. When originated, Courseware referred to any added educational material known as kits teachers and trainers relied on or tutorials students used through computers. Over time, the term has expanded and now it points to a complete course or extra material for a computer-formatted or online classroom.
It tends to pack in one course with different tests, lessons, and everything else that the course requires for a student to master it. Courseware is available in diverse formats: some are online-only, while some are downloadable in documents and PDFs.
› CLASSROOM AIDS
Classroom aids are software technologies that aid classroom teaching. It blends in the best of audio/visual and courseware to make learning more engaging for students. For teachers, the software makes it easier to craft media-rich lessons.
The overhead projectors are age-old classroom aids. With advancements in technology, the projectors upgraded to enhanced digital displays and now we have interactive whiteboards and projectors.
› ASSESSMENT SOFTWARE
Assessment software is a type of educational software to assess and test students in a virtual set-up. Through the software, students can take tests via computers. The software program then evaluates them and returns results for each of them.
› CORPORATE TRAINING AND TERTIARY EDUCATION
With the Corporate Training and Tertiary Education software, users receive education in small sections of a module, one after the other via the internet. The software gathers the results of the learning program and gives the progress report to the teachers/trainers.
Since we’ve explored educational software types, it is time to discover its uses.
The innovations in technology have changed the face of education over the years. While earlier, it was all about classroom education full of books and blackboards, now it is more about screens – of varying sizes. All thanks to the availability of education software.
Education software is an extensive term; it refers to any software that aids education. The purpose is to make education more efficient. It has different categories to attain distinct goals, right from tutorial software, courseware, and educational gaming to desktop publishing and authoring systems.
Thanks to educational software, education is no longer boring. The software packs in diverse technologies, such as AI and ML, to ensure learning becomes highly immersive and personalized for each learner. The best thing is, students can learn at their own pace despite sharing the same course.
Related:- Best Mutual Fund Apps for Direct Investment
BEST EDUCATION SOFTWARE
1. SMART Learning Suite
SMART Learning Suite by SMART Technologies ULC aims to elevate student outcomes through better ways of learning. Popular as all-in-one software, the SMART Learning Suite empowers tutors and ignites student engagement levels.
Through this educational software, it becomes possible for educators to develop dynamic, interactive lessons, and work more collaboratively. Students, on the other hand, get to experience game-based learning that suits their unique needs as well as learning speed.
On top of it all, the learning suite offers formative assessments. Thus, teachers can gauge students’ understanding in real-time and provide them with adequate assistance at the right time.
• It offers a seamless transformation of static files, such as PDFs and PowerPoint, into interactive lessons.
• It enables the creation and delivery of lessons on any device – smartphone, computers, or tablets. Moreover, the lessons are available anytime, anywhere.
• It provides shared workspaces where students can share a digital canvas to add content, co-create, or have a problem-solving session.
• The interactive and engaging learning improves concept understanding and retention.
• With interesting real-time assessment tools, including multiple-choice, true/false questions and short answers, it’s easier to determine students’ progress.
• Hassle-free integration with present technology allows ease of utility.
• The availability of both desktop-based and cloud-enabled learning offers the flexibility of learning.
The SMART Learning Suite costs around $109. The prices vary based on your choice of subscription duration, the number of teachers it is for, and the type of currency. It also offers a limited period free trial with an online learning suite and Notebook desktop software.
Cerego is online learning software that offers more efficiency, efficacy, and accessibility to both students and educators. It relies on the most stimulating learning science fundamentals in order to help learners develop a beneficial approach to learning.
What’s fascinating is, many reputed universities and institutions use Cerego thanks to its adaptive platform. For instance, the University of Pittsburgh, Arizona State University, and NYU.
Since this education software is available across a variety of devices at your preferred time, learning becomes highly flexible. In fact, its distinct features take the remote learning experience a notch higher. Let’s see some of them below.
• It utilizes cognitive science concepts to help learners discover the right materials for learning, at the right time.
• It combines AI and machine learning technologies to offer a personalized learning experience.
• It offers solid administrative tools and analytics to simplify progress-tracking.
• It packs in advance multimedia tools to modernize course materials.
• Whether it is a recreation of existing content or development from scratch, Cerego offers all kinds of digital content, from maps and PDFs to flashcards and videos, for more immersive learning.
• As Cerego offers the right information when it is needed the most, learning and teaching both become more powerful. That boosts retention by up to 90%.
• The platform quantifies the learners’ knowledge and makes accurate predictions on their future performance, letting you plan more tactfully.
Cerego’s standard plan for small classes and teams starts from $8.33 a month per seat for annual billing. And $10 per month on a monthly billing per seat.
3. Oracle Cloud for Higher Education
With Oracle Cloud for Higher Education, higher education institutes across the world can have enhanced learning and teaching experience. Oracle’s cloud solutions are known to be innovative and powerful enough to streamline student success and boost the institutes’ sustainability.
The educational software by Oracle covers the entire lifecycle of both – students and educators. It is designed to drive innovations and elevate student performance in the most engaging manner possible. The technologies are such that they transform the campus successfully to keep pace with today’s young and tech-savvy learners.
• The cloud solution helps bring together student, finance, and HR systems.
• It helps create highly engaging, personalized, and socially sharable digital content to increase subject understanding and retention among modern students.
• The cloud platform is data-driven, mobile, social, and facilitates easy integration.
• It makes transitioning to the cloud a smoother experience for the institutions.
• Thanks to personalized learning, students are better able to meet their individual academic, personal, and professional goals.
• Real-time insights help carve result-oriented learning programs.
You can sign up with Oracle to begin a free trial.
4. Blackbaud Higher Education Software
The Blackbaud Higher Education Software aims towards connecting and growing your campus by providing a best-in-class student experience. The fact that it is a cloud-based solution makes it a feasible choice for educational institutions the world over.
The education management software empowers you to constructively manage the complete learner lifecycle, right from admissions through alumni. Developed using advanced technologies, its purpose is to help your institute attain digital transformation and drive impact. It is scalable and flexible to meet your unique requirements.
• The software helps create a powerful digital experience which is in line with modern students’ aspirations.
• It provides customized and meaningful learner interactions.
• It connects enrollment, admissions, academics, marketing, and advancement operations for unparalleled efficiency.
• The solution’s centralized management of data boosts the competence of your staff and educators.
• Its personalized experience keeps students engaged to move forward in their learning journey.
• Thanks to connected departments and operations, you save a lot of time as well as efforts, driving rich outcomes.
You can drop an inquiry on their website to learn about your ideal software solution and its pricing.
5. CampusNexus Student
CampusNexus Student is the flagship SIS i.e student information system by Campus Management. It redefines the way you cater to the traditional students, embracing their diversity and varied backgrounds.
The platform is cloud-based and developed on the Azure Cloud by Microsoft. The purpose is to get students, systems, campuses, and programs together through a single technology.
This higher education software allows better management of flexible academic programs and terms while also boosting the management of curriculum and enrollment activities. Apart from that, the platform provides you with valuable insights, driven by precise data, to fulfill student requirements in the most dynamic manner possible.
• It offers flexible learning, in the form of online, on-campus, and clock-hour academic terms and programs. There are certificates and competency-based courses as well.
• It ensures students get the right financial aids and resources through automated processes.
• It is a comprehensive system that assists right from student enrollment to academic management and engagement to progress reporting and analytics.
• The automated processes help save a lot of precious time, resources, and efforts of the educators and admin staff by eliminating manual procedures. • That way, they can focus more on more vital tasks, such as interactions with students.
• Students receive customized academic support plans depending on their distinct requirements, helping them perform better.
You need to drop an inquiry with your details to hear back from the Campus Management team. They offer a demonstration of their products based on your institution’s needs.
Who Uses Education Software?
The primary user groups of any type of education software are – students, teachers, school administration, and parents.
The software equips the school administration and teachers to craft, as well as share, high-value lessons, and content. It also helps them better manage classrooms and student data. From better data management to automated grading and smart review tools, the software has taken the way of teaching to a new high.
For the students, the software becomes a boon which lets them study curated learning plans and take tests. When it comes to the parents, the software allows them access to the tutors and administrators so that they remain in the loop about their kid’s studies. We can say that parents get a dedicated window to oversee their kid’s performance.